Crowdfunding Your Way to the March For Life
Interested in attending March for Life this year, but unsure how you’ll pay for it? If so, WonderWe can help. WonderWe is a crowdfunding platform that helps individuals and organizations reach out to friends, church leaders, and other pro-life supporters for donations. Sadly, most fundraising platforms are not aligned with pro-life values. WonderWe is one of the only crowdfunding sites that encourages pro-life campaigns in its community.
This December, our team will be helping individuals and groups get the funds they need to make it to the March for Life. Let’s unpack a step by step process for using WonderWe’s free tools to create a unique fundraiser to get you to DC:
- Craft your budget and set your goal. As a first step, you’ll want to look at the trip info page on March for Life’s website: http://marchforlife.org/mfl-2016/hotel-info/ There, you’ll find all the relevant info on special hotel rates, transportation costs, etc. Once you have an idea of costs, we created a budgeting form for you that will allow you to easily calculate how much you’ll need to raise for your trip. This budgeting form also works if you’re fundraising for a group. Simply adjust the ‘quantity’ of each item to reflect the number in your group. Check it out here: https://volunteermark.box.com/s/p4vb4ptl6j31op5fl09abeptzunogb20
- Create a campaign around your goal. WonderWe is a crowdfunding platform, if you’re unfamiliar with the idea of crowdfunding, it’s essentially a new tool to help your friends and family easily donate to your cause. To get started, follow this link to create a free account on WonderWe: https://www.wonderwe.com/signup/ Once you have an account set up, you’re ready to launch a campaign to hit your fundraising goal. Here are the steps you need to take:
STEP 1: Log into your WonderWe account, and click ‘create new’ on the left tab. STEP 2: Start creating your campaign page STEP 3: Name your campaign & set your fundraising goal.
- Make your campaign stand out. You need to help prospective donors understand why they should help fund your trip. So, be sure to add a good picture into your campaign. For example, if you have a picture of you at a past March or another rally, that would fit well here. You also want to edit your campaign description to tell people about yourself, why the March for Life is important to you, and how their donation will give to the cause of life. Check out this sample image:
- Craft a fun we#code. we#code’s are WonderWe’s version of a Twitter hashtag. By creating one that is memorable, you’ll make it a cinch for people to find and donate to you. Your supporters can even access WonderWe from their smartphone, find you with your we#code, and donate.
- Share your campaign. Now that you have a campaign page + a we#code, you’re ready to start getting people to your page. We’ve made this super easy by building in Facebook and Twitter sharing. Simply click the Facebook and Twitter buttons on your page to spread the news through your social networks. Lastly, it is very important that you also email your network. WonderWe has made this simple too. Note that by the Facebook and Twitter share buttons (in your WonderWe campaign) there is also an option to email your network. Simply click the button, import your contacts, edit the pre-written email that pops up, and hit send!
Tips and Tools for a Successful Campaign
Once you’ve gotten your campaign live, it’s time to start getting proactive about spreading the word. Below are the top 3 tips from our most successful campaigns:
Run a ‘competition’ for some added fun (and funds :). One of our most successful campaigns ever launched was a ‘competition’ run by Big Brothers/Big Sisters. They created a campaign and then had local companies compete to form teams and see who could raise the most for Big Brothers. WonderWe made this process easy because each team could create their own donation page, but all the funds still went to Big Brothers/Big Sisters. In the same way, you could ask your church, family members, or other groups you’re a part of to form teams and join in a friendly competition to see who can raise the most toward your fundraising goal.
Check out this sample Tweet from the Big Brother’s Competition = a great way to get people competing to donate!
Recruit cheerleaders. Cheerleaders are people who want to see you at the March, and will do what it takes to help you get there. These are dear friends, family, and co-workers who you can recruit to compete in your campaign. Come up with a group of 5-10 cheerleaders and ask them if they’d be willing to help you fundraise. Once they say yes, follow this process to help them help you:
- Give them a pre-written email to forward to their friends. Be sure it includes a link directly to your campaign page.
- If they have a Twitter following, send them 5-10 sample tweets they could send out that include a link to your campaign.
- Get them 2-3 sample Facebook posts that they can share with their friends on Facebook. The share need only be a link to your campaign + something like ‘help my friend Carla get to the March for Life!’
Go public. Even with all these online tools, there’s still nothing like an in-person ask. For example, you could speak in front of your church about why the march is important to you and let them know how they can help get you there via WonderWe. By simply asking them to search for your we#code on wonderwe.com, you’ll offer them a clear and easy path to supporting you.
Final thoughts…WonderWe will get you all the tools you need to quickly raise funds for your March for Life trip. But don’t stop there… WonderWe can also help you raise funds for billboards, pro-life signs, and other marketing materials that will help make your march an absolute success. Through your campaign, you’ll be able to send messages to all of your supporters. Once you hit your goal, send them a message thanking them, and offering them new opportunities to help you raise additional funds. This will also give you another opportunity to reach back out to your ‘cheerleaders’ with an additional push for new March for Life materials.
WonderWe wishes you all the best as you work toward making the march on January 22nd! Don’t hesitate to contact us and let us know how we can make the process a smooth one for you!
Note: While the WonderWe team is proud to support individuals and groups going to the March for Life, we are not affiliated with the national March for Life Organization.